Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Dad

My Dad turned 76 today. It was nice that I could be here to wish him a happy birthday in person. I haven't been able to to that in many years. He spent most of his birthday doing things for me. I had to go back to the hospital to have my blood tested and my blood thinner level adjusted. Dad also helped me with my first shower since coming home. It's a humbling experience to need your Dad to help you in the shower, but my Dad is very patient and we got everything done safely.

So Dad is my hero again, just like he was when I was a kid. I was very lucky to have him for a Dad. He has always been completely devoted to his family. He and Mom have been married 51 years. Mom never had to worry for even a minute that Dad might be up to something he shouldn't be. My sister and two brothers would agree with me - Our Dad is the greatest. He took me on adventures as a kid, taught me to play ball, showed me how to fix things, and always set the best example. So when it was my time to be a father, I mostly did what he did and I think I did alright. So he was, and still is – my hero.

But he was a hero to lots of other people too. Dad was an FBI agent, then later a special investigator for the Florida State Attorney. His work put a lot of bad people in prison. He has several letters from J. Edger Hoover thanking him for his work on specific cases. Mr. Hoover also sent Dad a congratulatory letter when I was born. It is one of my most important possessions.

In 1977, Dad was on the front cover newspapers all across the country. A young mother of two was abducted from her Jacksonville, FL home and held for ransom. Dad was one of the two agents that brought Jack McWilliams into the Federal Courthouse to face kidnapping charges. The scoundrel was convicted and is still in prison today. The young woman was found alive on the third day. She had been bound, gaged, tied to a tree, and left for dead in the woods. She is still alive today. My Dad was one of the real heroes behind a happy ending.

I'm really glad my hero is still here with me. He's good health is a real blessing, and the result of his healthy lifestyle. Hopefully, my new heart repairs will help me stay as healthy as he is.

So Happy Birthday Dad, and thanks for being my hero.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, thanks for the very kind comments . Mary and I have tried to care for you, Karen, David and Daniel as the best we could. Our four children were always our most important job. As you will find in the coming years with Max, your first and most important job will always be what you have done raising Max to be such a fine son. The truth is " once a parent, always a parent " We all some times come up short and make mistakes but that is the reason we try harder to be better parents. You,Karen, David and Daniel have made Mary and Me very proud of your parenting of four grandchildren. We are very honored and proud that you have given us the opportunity to care for you during this tough time. Your Dad

Anonymous said...

You are so fortunate to have two wonderful parents. You are so blessed in so many ways.

Helen

Anonymous said...

I can attest to Ken's portrait of our Dad. Thanks Ken for writing it down and for reminding us that we had very special parents. Not everyone gets that lucky.

Karen