Friday, February 20, 2009

24 Seconds

I'm finally able to type my own blog entry. I'm glad my Mom was able to do that for me. My commmnets may not make much sense becauso of the pain medication and thje monitor attached to my right index finger. Mom says I'm ornery, well I'd like to know who wouldn't be. Open-heart surgery HURTS!


I sincerely appreciate all the nice comments. Thanks to everyone that took the time to write a note and keep me in yoiur prayers.

When Lewis Grizzard had his heart valve replaced, his heart just refused to restart. For several days that he was kept on a combination of heart lung machines and artifiial pumps. Lewis has me beat again. My heart started just fine. Everyuhing seemed to be going to plan. The nerses make me get uip walk about 200 feet three times yesterday. After mye evning walk last night for no apparent reason my heart just stopped - for 24 seconds! That does not sound very long, but it scared the hell out of me. I had about 6 nurses frantically running around my room. Thankfully, it started itselft back up. I guess the thing just needed to reboot.


The doctors suspect that the extensive scar tissue from my infection caused this. tell me that that wandering around with a heart that inexplicably stops and starts is not a good thing. They had so much fun have doing the first operation they figured, what the heck let's do another one.

So now I am off to the operating room for two more hours.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - you sure know how to have a good time ... hang in there, and keep showing that ornery side - that'll keep things ticking -

Good Luck Ken

Larry

Beverly Brown said...

What an adventure! Looking forward to the next installment.

Daniel King said...

Ken - we are all anxious to know. During your 24 secound foray, was everything all bright and beautiful... or was it dark and fiery? Sorry, I just had to ask. Some guys will try anything to get 6 nurses in their room. We are really glad it happened at the hospital and that you are going to be fine.
Daniel

Anonymous said...

Best of luck in the OR today. It's good to know you're in the best of hands there (except from a culinary standpoint!).

Phizzy K. said...

Good grief, Ken. Can't you think of another way to get attention? Seriously, did you go toward the light? So glad you were still at Mayo and not at N&P's house. How many more tricks do you have up your hospital gown?