Monday, February 16, 2009

Only one excuse left

I'm down to my last few hours before surgery. They have almost run out of reasons for delay.

Today, they did warn me of one last possible delay. It seems that in addition to doing heart valve replacements like mine, and other things like coronary bypass, my surgeon is on the heart transplant team. If a a donor heart becomes available for someone in need of a heart transplant, he would have to do that surgery. So unless that happens, my operation starts at 7:30am, Tuesday February 16th.

Hearing that kind of put things in perspective. Fortunately, no one has to die so that my heart can be fixed. My valve will be replaced with one called the St Jude Valve. This mechanical device will outlive me. Since everything else in my heart is just fine, the new valve should do the trick and I'll be as good as new.

Mom and Dad will take me to the hospital in the morning. I need to arrive at 5:30am. Not much point in sleeping tonight since I'll be asleep most of the day tomorrow. I guess I'm as ready as anyone can be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, The fact that you are reading this is the best news of all. We are all very glad to see you come through in great shape! You have a great deal of people thinking of you. Do your best to get better fast. I have always been able to count on my big brother and am not willing for you to be excused from your duties for long. We have the most love and respect for you and are glad that you are on the road to recovery! Love, Daniel

Russell Gardner said...

Hey Ken,

Your friends on T-5 are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers today. Confident everything is going just fine, and that you will soon be sharing all the details. Or, with your talent for writing, we'll just read the book. Stacey Schaeffer and John Mosier asked that I pass along their good thoughts and warm wishes for your speedy recovery.