Sunday, March 15, 2009

Space Shuttle

We watched the Space Shuttle launch in the back yard. It was a spectacular site. At this distance (about 150 miles) we can only see it under ideal conditions. This evening our skies were clear and it was just getting dark for the 7:43pm launch.

I did not know if I would ever have the chance to see a launch again. I've seen about 10. The last one I saw a launch it was the ill-fated Challenger that exploded 23 years ago. At that time I was living in Melbourne, Florida about 25 miles south of the cape. (by coincidence, I've also lived in Melbourne, Australia.) My co-workers and I left the office to watch the launch from the building parking lot. The explosion left a great cloud of smoke that remained in the sky the rest of that cold day.

Today's launch was perfect. I'm glad that I lived to see it and that I won't any longer say that the last time I saw the shuttle launch it exploded. Well done NASA!

No comments: