Friday, March 20, 2009

Four Week Status

I spend several hours at the hospital on Monday and Tuesday having tests done. On Wednesday afternoon I met with Dr. Landolfo, my surgeon to review progress. He said that on a scale of 1-10, my recovery is an 8. On the positive side, I've had no fluid on the lungs, my chest is healing nicely, and my activity level is good, the valve is functioning perfectly, and there are no leaks (leaks are very bad).

My restrictions were revised somewhat. I am now permitted to lift 15 pounds, up from 5. I am allowed to drive. They advised me to be very careful driving since an accident would be a disaster. A chest impact with an airbag, or steering wheel could cause some really bad things. I still cannot submerge my chest in water, so swimming is out.

They had two areas of concern, the first is my weight. I am not gaining weight even though I am eating quite well. The second area of concern was the possibility that some bacteria had managed to evade the antibiotics by laying low in some remote corner of my body. More blood was drawn - from each arm, just to be sure. At the 24 hour mark the culture was negative, but they will monitor it for 3 days just to be sure. I won't know until Monday, but it looks like the infection has not returned.

My next assessment is scheduled for April 3. If I things are progressing well, then I should be able to return home.

Warning - kind of disgusting stuff to follow.

Yesterday, was a really bad day for me. I felt terrible and all three of us were getting more and more fearful that the Endocarditis was back. By mid-afternoon, it seemed a trip to the emergency room was necessary. I dreaded this because I knew what I'd be in for. First they turn the thermostat down to 60, then they would make me change into the hospital gown, insert an IV, put an oxygen tube in my nose, and draw blood. Then they would go to work on me. I did not want to go but it looked inevitable. Dad was getting his keys and wallet, Mom was on the phone with the doctor when suddenly I started vomiting. Throwing up is never much fun, but with your chest still recovering from being sawed in half - vomiting is really unpleasant. I had no idea I could vomit this much stuff. Strangely enough, I felt better - I was weak as hell, but no longer sick. We concluded that I must have had food poisoning. I've mostly ate the same things as Mom & Dad and they were fine, but in my condition I was more susceptible. The doctor said to stay home and rest. I had a good night sleep, thanks to one of my magic pills. I woke up hungry and had bacon and eggs. I feel much better today. Unfortunately, the incident cost me 2 pounds and I'm now officially a skeleton.

1 comment:

Beverly Brown said...

Oooooo, hate about the food poisoning. But at least you were spared the other unpleasantness! Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Eat fudge. I'm just sayin'