Sunday, March 8, 2009

A minor setback, but I'm better now

I've been told to expect ups and downs during the recovery process. Friday was one of the downs, but today (Sunday) was a very good day. So the progress is forward.

Friday evening I was not feeling well and my left arm was in a lot of pain. Left arm pain is a symptom of heart attack. My left arm had swollen during surgery and had a small blood clot in the days after surgery. But the swelling had gone away at least a week ago. As instructed I called the doctor and his advise was to get into the emergency room. Dad was dressed and had the car started in about 3 minutes. My heart was checked out, first by the emergency room doctor, then by two members of the cardiology team who were called in. Thank God, there was no heart issues. They kept me under observation for five hours just to make sure nothing was wrong. Needless to say Dad and I got almost no sleep, but we still felt that the doctor was right to tell me to go in.

So the mystery of the left arm pain remains, but when I woke up today the pain was gone. Tomorrow the doctors want to check me out again. On the positive side, the weather today was beautiful, Mom and I had a couple of pretty long walks, and I had two good sessions on the stationary bike.

No comments: