Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Food

Lewis Grizzard wrote a column once explaining the proper way to make cornbread. All too often, sugar is added into cornbread in the misguided attempt to turn it into some kind of sweet dessert. Lewis even claimed that the bible said "Thou shalt not add sugar to cornbread." However, I'm unable to find the chapter and verse.

I'm very lucky that Mom cooks it the proper southern way. In fact, her only serious rival was my late Grandmother. Mom made cornbread tonight and also sauteed some vegetables. Dad grilled Salmon outside to absolute perfection. Something about the combination was magical. It was the first time since the surgery that food tasted good. I mean really good.

Anyone who knows me knows I like to eat. I also get hunger pains earlier than anyone else. An accident of genetics gives me the ability to eat all I want and never gain any weight. It also means I burn up whatever I eat and so I can't go very long without eating. Between the surgery and the medications I'm on, I have not felt hungry or enjoyed food much at all. Mostly, I only ate because I knew it was time to. Until now, fresh fruit was the only thing that tasted really good. Tonight that changed. I really enjoyed my dinner.

The infection caused me to lose about 15 pounds off my normal weight. Normal for me being very skinny to start with. I gained about half of that back between the time the infection was treated and the surgery. Since the surgery I lost it all back. Hopefully, today signals the start of some serious eating! I really need to put on some pounds.

Hey Mom, What's for dessert?

4 comments:

Beverly Brown said...

Finally found a few moments at lunch to revisit your blog and find you how you're doing. That you have your appetite back is GREAT news!! You seem to be bouncing back nicely, and I'm so glad. Have had you in my thoughts/prayers since you left for Florida. Tell your bro his plants are happy in my kitchen. They have fresh soil, fertilizer, water and lots of light.

Take care, get lots of rest and post updates when you can!

Russell Gardner said...

Hey Ken,

It's almost dinner time again. Thanks for the latest always entertaining and (gotta say it) inspiring blog post. You are teaching us all how to savor: food, family, life in general.
Take care and eat hearty.

Russell

P.S. Inquiring minds want to know...what WAS for dessert?

Becca said...

Glad you enjoy eating again... I also love eating - unfortunately, I don't have your metabolism! I'll treat you to lunch when you get back. Heal, sleep, eat!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken -

I just got back from a skiing vacation with my son ... glad to hear you're doing better. Sounds like you're making good progress on the exercise bike. Hope to see you back soon -

Larry