Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Test Results

The only really good result from the TTE test would have been that my heart was undamaged by the infection, or that the damage was minimal and did not require surgery. Unfortunately, my aortic valve was damaged and surgery will be required. This will be open heart surgery requiring a week hospital stay, followed by three weeks of limited activity (not even driving) while the chest heals.

The surgery can't be done until the doctors are sure the infection is completely clear, that takes four to six weeks. So the surgery will be sometime early in the new year.

The doctors disagreed about wheather my heart valve is salvageable. One thought a repair job might be possible, the other two don't think so and believe a replacement is required. But all three said that the decision would be made at the time of surgery based on a new TTE test.

The idea of having my chest pryed open and doctors tinkering around my heart is unnerving as hell. But on the bright side, the doctors said I'm an ideal candidate because I have never experienced any chest pains and aside from the valve all the other heart tissue appears undamaged.

No comments: