Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The PICC Line

I'm out of the hospital and recuperating at Mom and Dad's home in Jacksonville, Florida. This is a good spot for me to rest. It was great to sleep in a regular bed with no one waking me up to draw blood or take vital signs or hang another bag of antibiotics on my IV line.

The bacteria in my system is most vulnerable to a continuous dose of antibiotics. Letting those devils alone for even a short time allows them to regroup, establish a new base, and continue their assault on my heart tissue. In the hospital this is done by an IV line. But I need the antibiotics for four to six weeks. So now I have a pump that delivers the dose almost directly into my heart 24 hours a day.

The method for doing this is called a Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter, or PICC line. A small tube in inserted in my upper arm. From there it follows a vein almost to my heart. I Carry a small pump with me everywhere I go and a small dose of antibiotics is squirted directly into my heart all day and night. It may not be the sexiest fashion accessory around, but it allows the battle to continue while letting me get almost back to normal life. I can't get it wet so swimming is out. My Dad is an expert at wrapping it so I can shower while it stays dry.

My arms are pretty sore. I say arms because there was a complication in the first PICC inserted in my right arm. So they repeated the procedure in my left. But that should heal in a day or two.

It is an amazing bit of technology. I just need to keep it with me. I look like I'm carrying a purse so I will get teased about it. Small price to pay for the benefit it is giving me.

No comments: