Sunday, November 23, 2008

Diagnosis

Here is what they think I have. Endocarditis.

This sounds kind of bad, some nasty bacteria entered my blood stream and set-up a base of operations in my heart, specifically on my aortic valve. This unwelcome guest can damage things to the point that heart surgery may be necessary to repair the valve.

but I don't want to jump too far ahead of myself. The doctors are intravenously delivering some pretty powerful antibiotics, to battle the bacteria. This began shortly after I was admitted, about 36 hours ago. At the moment I'm feeling better than I have for weeks. The antibiotics may be doing the job.

They have been drawing blood out of me every 12 hours. The bacteria levels are being monitored to see if the antibiotics are killing of the bacteria.

Monday will be another day of testing. There are several tests scheduled to determine if my aortic heart valve has sustained any damage, and if so how much. Once the results of those tests are known, then the doctors will advise me of my options. So I'm going to be pretty anxious until then. But I'm definitely enjoying feeling better.

8 comments:

Mike Newkirk said...

Thinking of you Ken and praying that you will get well soon. You are in good hand sI am confident.

Anonymous said...

Ken: Am thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery. Am so glad you went to the Mayo Clinic and got some news so quickly! As you find out more about the infection's impact, I know your journey will evolve - and we are all here if you need us.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are in good medical hands and that they have started you on important antibiotics. Don't underestimate the importance of rest. We're all pulling for you and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the antibiotics nip things in the bud and you simply are advised not to 'watch' football for a week :)
What a difference getting a diagnosis must make -- great you got to see a team at the Mayo Clinic when you did.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken -

I'm glad to hear they've figured it out ... hope you get better soon. Let me know if you need me to help with anything -

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken, how dare a nasty bacteria invade such a nice person? We sure do miss you, and hope that all the news from now on out is good. You will remain in our thoughts and prayers until your smiling face returns to T-5.

Joy B said...

Ken, just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and hoping that you're on the road to recovery. I'll send all the positive energy I can muster your way.

Take care,
Joy Bisesi

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,
I wish you a fast recovery.

Marina P