Friday, April 3, 2009

Time To Go Home

Both his mother and father were long dead when Lewis Grizzard had his heart surgery disaster. Had his parents been there to support him, perhaps his outcome would have been different. Maybe he would have made better lifestyle choices, drinking less, eating better, or maybe even skipping the cigarette he smoked in the bathroom just an hour before surgery. If his parents had been there with love, prayers, and support, maybe his heart would have restarted when the surgeons disconnected the heart-lung machine, maybe his recovery would have been successful and he would still be writing books. Who knows?

Lewis couldn't turn to his Mom and Dad when he had Endocarditis and when he needed surgery. For me, Mom and Dad were there the whole time. Nothing could have been better for me than their love, care, and support. Who says "you can't go home"; I did and I'm alive. I'm on my way to a complete recovery, thanks to Mom and Dad.

Today I completed another series of tests and my recovery is progressing. I am now well enough to go back to my own life. I'm still weak and underweight, but I am getting stronger. I have been here almost 8 weeks. The time has come to say goodbye to Mom and Dad and return home.

I really don't know how I can ever thank them, words just don't do it.

All I can say is; thanks for being here when I needed you most. I can never repay you.

5 comments:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

What a beautiful tribute to your parents! That all children would feel that way about their mom and dad. So when you come back here, can we entice you with a fattening meal? We'd love to have you over for a night of getting together and catching up. Let me know what you can/can't eat and we'll look forward to that time! When will you be in NC? Are you here for Easter? If so, do you have plans? You can come over here if you want.

Bless you, we are praying for your total healing.

Cindy, Mark and guys

Mike Newkirk said...

Yes, very nice and a good reminder to all of us how much we owe our parents. You are right, it is a debt you cannot repay nor, I strongly suspect, did they expect it. That is grace.

Looking forward to seeing you in pollenly NC!

Charles M Uzzell said...

Hi Ken! Great to hear that you are on the way home... what an adventure! oh my. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
charles, k306

Russell Gardner said...

Hey Ken,

Thanks, through this blog, for taking us all along on this amazing ride, which now brings you back to NC. We've missed you.

Your posts have been inspiring, learning more about you and your family...your doctors...your friends and neighbors. You are blessed in so many ways, and have reminded the rest of us that we should celebrate those we hold near and dear.

I do hope that those not fortunate enough to follow your blog will have a chance to get inspired too. Write the book and we'll stand in line at the book signing...and then you can retire like a King off the movie royalties. Only question is...who would play you?

Take care and hope to see you soon

Old Salt said...

Hi Ken,
I'm Hal Cauthen, from Alachua. Your mom and I were in the same grade in school, and we've stayed in touch. When I send out a email, announcing that I'd have to have the aortic value replaced, not only did she and your dad offer their sympathy, of course, she referred me to your '... Now the surgeons are after me' site.
To say that I enjoyed reading it, is an understatement; it's witty, and clever, and informative.
Hope you are still doing well.
I seem to be.
Regards,
Hal